Mens Herts Premier League Div 1 
12/10/2016, 8:20 pm
Harlow Hawks 1
57 - 61
West Herts Warriors
1st 2nd 3rd 4th T
Harlow Hawks 15 15 12 15 57
West Herts Warriors 18 19 14 10 61
Harlow Leisurezone
Men's 1
Referee: H. Fozi, D. Laverick

Match Report

Harlow Hawks Men host West Herts Warriors in Game 2 of the Herts Premier league Div 1.

The Warriors have proven themselves over the last few seasons always finishing in the top half of the league whilst also competing in Basketball Englands Mens Div 4 National League. Recent battles between the two sides has seen close encounters, mostly ending in Warriors favour. The new look Hawks team entered the game with the aim of ending this trend.

Hawks won the tip and quickly started to plan with a 5-0 run holding the visitors scoreless in the first 3 minutes. Finding their groove, Warriors hit a trio of 3’s along with a number of fast break buckets to end the opening quarter three points clear of the Hawks. Both Hawks big men T.White and R.Norkilunas find the bottom of the net early combining for 8 of the home sides 15 points so far.

The roles reversed for the second quarter as Warriors increased their lead by 6 points leaving Hawks panicing until veteran baller R.Allan drop a teardrop shot in the lane, followed quickly by a put-back 2 pointer off his own rebounded shot from L.Morris. Again the big duo added 8 more points between them as Hawks endded the half down 37-30.

Again the Hawks started the quarter slow allowing the Warriors to further their lead to 11. T.White & D.Cohen quickly respond with 6 points of their own to get Hawks back in the game. A strong drive from player coach S.Niaz able to absorb the contact earns him a trip to the stripe for a chance at a 3point play. Making 1 of only 5 free throws in the game, the gap closed to a mere five points. Those efforts were not enjoyed as the guests poured in six points in a variety of ways only to be answered by an outside shot from S.Burgess. Three quarters down with a 9 point deficit (42-51).

The final ten minutes to turn the game around began with a scoreless first minute until recent junior H.Patterson caught a half court pass from his former coach L.Morris to lay in the 2 points. Following with a banked 3 pointer the young player was showing his worth, closing the gap to just 6. The remaining six minutes of the game was mostly played at the foul line where both teams combined to miss an incredible 11 shots. Some tough defence helped Warriors steal a win, but a valient effort from Hawks to reduce the deficit to just 4 points.


Written By: Lee Morris


1 2 1 2 4 5
2 1 1 2 4 3
3 6 1 5 3 13
13 Shab Niaz (c)
1 1 1 1 2 6
5 6 3 12


7 2 2 3 1 6
9 1 1 5
11 2 4
12 1 2 3